欢迎您访问公共英语!

“a bad apple”不是“一个坏苹果”

A: Oh,my God! What happened? Why are you black and blue?
噢,天哪!怎么啦?你身上怎么青一块紫一块的?
B: I got beaten by Peter's brother
彼得的弟弟把我给打了。
A: That's a bad apple! Let's think up a way and teach him a lesson.
这坏蛋,咱

2026-03-08

“a gay dog ”不是“一只快乐的狗”

A: It’s strange they should get along so well!
B: That’s nothing unusual.
A: You don’t know much about the couple. One likes to be alone, but the other is a bit of a gay dog.
甲:他们居然能处得这么好,太奇怪了。
乙: 没什么

2026-03-08

“a hard nut ”不是“硬坚果”

A: Bob refused all his classmate's invitations.
鲍勃拒绝了班上所有人的邀请。
B: I really couldn't understand him.
他这个人我真不明白。
A: He's surely a hard nut, nobody likes approaching him.
他真是个脑子不开窍的人,没人愿意靠近他。
B: We'd bet

2026-03-08

“a hen-pecked husband”不是“一个啄鸡的丈夫”

A: Aunt is scolding uncle again.
婶婶又在骂叔叔了。
B: Don’t worry. Your uncle won’t utter a word back
别着急,你叔叔不会还口的。
A: I didn’t know my uncle is a hen-pecked husband
我还不知道我叔叔是个妻管严
B: He isn't. He thinks it's

2026-03-08

“big shot”不是“大枪声”

A:Do you know Mr. Smith?
你认识史密斯先生吗?
B:No, but I know of him. He’s a big shot in the local politics.
不认识,但我知道这人,他在本地政界是个举足轻重的人物。
A:I’m told he’s only a yes-man.
我听说他是个和事佬。
B:Yes, I hate that. At presen

2026-03-08

“bosom friends”不是“胸怀朋友”

A:Is Jack a friend of yours?
杰克是你的朋友吗?
B:Yes. He is one of my bosom friends.
是,他是我的一个知心朋友。
A:He’s a nice guy as far as I know
我也知道他是一个好人。
B:You can be certain of that.
这点毫无疑问。
说明:bosom friends指的是“知心朋友

2026-03-08

“con artist”不是“艺术家”

A: Is this your first visit to this city?
这是你第一次游览这个城市吗?
B: Yes,why?
是呀,怎么了?
A: Perhaps I should warn you that this city is full of con artists.
也许我该提醒你这座城市有许多骗子手
B: Thanks for telling.I’Il take care.

2026-03-08

“fat cat”不是“胖猫”

A:Where’re those popular actresses in our school time?
咱们上学时的那些女影星都哪去了?
B:Get into marriage.
结婚了呗!
A:Can everyone find a fat cat?
人人都能找到大款吗?
B:Everyone wants to, but not everyone succeeds.
人人都想,可并不是人人

2026-03-08

“the long and short of it”不是“它的长和短

A:Do you know why John left our company?
你知道为什么约翰离开我们公司了吗?
B:It’s a complicated story but the long and short of it is that he transferred a large sum of money wrongly.
这事很复杂,但概括地说,他错转了一大笔资金。
A:Who sho

2026-03-08

“no point”不是“没有点”

A:There’s no point in losing temper on me. It’s unfair!
没理由向我发火。这太不公平了!
B:What did you do to him?
你对他怎么了!
A:If I did something bad, I wouldn’t blame him for getting angry with me. The point is that I

2026-03-08

“fat change”不是“胖的机会”

A: I think it was Jason who stole my document.
我觉得是詹森偷了我的文件。
B: Fat chance!
不会的。
A: He's the only one who left here late.
他是唯一一个走得晚的人。
B: I know him.He’ll never do that sort of thing
我了解他,他决不会干这种事儿。

2026-03-08

“mark time”不是“标示时间”

A: Why did we stop?
我们为什么停下来?
B: No, we didn’t really stop. We just marked time.
不,我们并没有真的停下来。我们只是原地踏步。
A:Marked time?
原地踏步?
B: Yeah, we have to pause until we get approval.
是的。我们不得不暂时停下待命。
说明:mark ti

2026-03-08

“have seen better days”不是“看过更好的日子”

A: Look, Mrs. Thomas is such a beauty in her early years.
看,托马斯夫人年轻时这么漂亮。
B: But Mr. Thomas is short, skinny and ugly.
可托马斯先生又矮、又瘦、又丑。
A: Why do you think Mrs. Thomas married him?
你猜他为什么要嫁给他?
B: He's

2026-03-08

“a storm in a teacup”不是“茶杯里的风暴”

A: The husband can’t understand why his wife got angry so easily.
丈夫不明白他妻子为什么那么容易生气。
B: He’s too careless maybe.
可能他太粗心了。
A: No, it’s not that. Actually it’ s a storm in a teacup.I also thought it's t

2026-03-08

“from A to Z”不是“按字母表顺序”

She knows the subject from A to Z.
误译:她从A到Z地知道这门科目。
正确:她精通这个科目。
说明:from A to Z 的意思是“从头到尾;彻底地;完完全全”。这个习语来源于英语字母表,A是字母表的第一个字母,Z是字母表的最后一个字母。因此,“from A to Z” 传达了完整、全面、覆盖了所有方面的含义。如果你说你知道某个东西“from A to Z”,你

2026-03-08

“all aboard”不是“全部出国”

The train is ready to leave. All aboard.
误译:火车要开了,全都出国。
正确:火车要开了,大家上车。
说明:All aboard" 是一个常用的口头表达,通常用于欢迎人们进入交通工具,特别是火车、公共汽车、轮船或飞机。它的字面意思是“所有人上车”,暗示着交通工具即将启程,提醒人们准备好上车或登机。这个短语也可以用于其他场景,表示准备开始或加入某项活动或事情。

2026-03-08

“by all accounts”不是“按所有帐户”

I've never been there, but it is, by all accounts, a lovely place.
误译:我从来没有去过那个地方,但按所有帐户的记录,那是个可爱的地方。
正确:我从来没有去过那个地方,但据说那是个好地方。
说明:"By all accounts" 是一个习语,意思是“据说、据报道”,通常用于表示一种共识或普遍认同的情况。这个短语中的 "accoun

2026-03-08

“on account of”不是“在账户上”

We delayed our departure on account of the bad weather.
误译:我们在坏天气账户上延迟了出发时间。
正确:由于天气不好,我们将启程的时间推迟了。
说明:on account of 的意思是“因为、由于”,其中的 account 作为名词表示的是考虑或解释某事的基础,因此,“on account of” 可以理解为“基于某个解释或原因”。

2026-03-08

“be across to”不是“在……对面”

It is across to you.
误译:它在你对面。
正确:这是你的事了。
说明:be across to 的意思是“是……的责任(或任务)”。比如,I've finished the drafting of our plan, and the proof-reading is across to you. 我已完成我们计划的草拟任务,校核就是你的事了。

2026-03-08

“act and deed”不是“行为和契据”

I deliver this as my act and deed.
误译:我把这作为我的行为和契据来交付。
正确:立此字据。(字据签名前用语)
说明:act and deed 的意思是“字据;有约束力的契约”。

2026-03-08